Monday, December 1, 2014

Life Knowledge Lesson

For one of our last labs we were asked to teach an FFA Life Knowledge lesson at our cooperating center. I was excited about this because it would be the first time we were teaching in front of students that we will teach for in the spring. I have to admit I was a little nervous to teach in front of my cooperating teacher but everything went well!
My cooperating teacher Ellen Aurand and I

I chose to do a lesson on leadership. The students were asked to come up with characteristics that describe a leader. I was amazed at all the different responses that students gave in each of the classes I taught. Hard working, friendly, responsible and fun were the most common responses that I got from the students.

After discussing characteristics and what it means to be a leader we talked about different leaders in our society. At first students were coming up with famous people or historical figures such as George Washington and Martin Luther King. The more we talked about what being a leader meant, the more the students began thinking of leaders they interact with on a daily basis. We talked about how their teachers, parents and peers can even be considered leaders.

For the last activity I had each of the students write down 3 things they could do on a daily basis that would make them a leader. I was surprised how much the students were engaged in this activity. They were really trying to think of things that they could do! After sharing some ideas aloud with the class, I encouraged the students to try and do one of the three things they wrote down by the end of the day!

Overall, I think that the life knowledge lesson went well. The students were engaged for the most part which made the lesson go smooth. I really enjoyed getting to teach in the classroom where I will be doing my student teaching this spring!


"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
- John Quincy Adams

1 comment:

  1. Awesome reflection Laura! I always enjoy reading your reflections! It seems like your lesson went well and if you were nervous in the beginning, I'm sure it went away by the time you were finished teaching. I think you will do just fine and I'm sure your students are excited to have you student teach!

    ReplyDelete