Monday, December 1, 2014

Microteaching: Central Columbia High School

For my microteaching experience Jillian Gordon, Carly-Jean Schaefer and I went to Central Columbia High School and taught for three days. I taught an Ag 2 class and did a lesson on fasteners. The students in my class were from all different grades and had different experiences with this topic.

The first day of teaching did not go nearly as well as it did in my head. I had my lesson plan, my PowerPoint, my worksheets and my sample fasteners to hand out. We did a quick get to know you game so I could get familiar with some of the students names. I gave the students two boards and had them try to put them together using tape, glue, rubber bands and play dough. Then we went over the 5 different categories of fasteners and why they are important.

I handed out a dichotomous key and three samples of fasteners and had the students use their key to identify the samples. This activity went really well but the students did it a lot faster than I thought they would. I ended up finishing with 15 minutes to spare and I kinda freaked out. I wasn't sure what to do so I had the students start on what I had planned for day 2.

The second day I had planned to go over three categories of fasteners; nails, screws and bolts. However, I ran out of time and only got through two. We took notes on the characteristics, types and vocab words related to each fastener. Then we had a competition to see who could make the best fasteners out of play dough!

For the third day we continued with our notes and talked about bolts, nuts and washers. While the students were taking notes I passed around samples of the fasteners so they could get a chance to look at them. After we had talked about each category of fasteners we played an intense game of
Pictionary! This was a great way to review all the different fasteners we went over in the past three days and also get the students up out of their seats.

Even though my first day didn't go so well, the other two were great! I really learned a lot from this experience from both the students and Mr. Brown and Mr. Turner who were great at working with us and giving us advice!


"Outside of your comfort zone is where the magic happens"

No comments:

Post a Comment