Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Weekly Writing #10

Classroom Management

How do I, as a first year teacher, gain my students respect and listen to me without being the "mean teacher"? Am I gonna be able to manage my classroom effectively? These are two questions that I often catch myself asking. This weeks writing really focused on how we can effectively manage student behavior. 

One of my favorite things that this week's writing talked about was how the teacher is the key ingredient for an acceptable classroom atmosphere. Without an environment that is acceptable it is almost for students to learn effectively. This means that if the students are behaving and focused its gonna be really hard for any learning to take place. Likewise, if the teacher can't involve the students and have a clear and organized lesson the same thing will happen. 

Not only is managing the classroom important for effective learning it is important for the satisfaction of the teacher and the students. If they aren't able to manage the behavior of the students they are probably not going to enjoy going into the classroom each day and wont be able to perform to the best of their ability. 

The writing also gave guidelines to follow in promoting acceptable behavior that I found very beneficial. All of these tips are simple but really effective ways to manage your classroom

   1. Start out firm
   2. Be prepared to teach well
   3. Have a definite routine by which each class is started
   4. Make generous use of praise
   5. Do not have favorites
   6. Be consistent, yet not predictable
   7. Take action whenever a problem arises
   8. Learn to separate the action of the student from the person of the student
   9. Never make threats, only make promises
   10. Set a good example
   11. Be sure the penalty fits the offense
   12. Be attentive to all behavior in the classroom or laboratory
   13. Learn to forgive and forget

The readings this week gave me a whole new view on classroom management. When I would originally hear those words I would think about ways to enforce good behavior and punish bad behavior. However, I now see that its so much more than that. It's about making a solid environment where students can learn as effectively as possible!


"In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can."


No comments:

Post a Comment