Friday, November 14, 2014

Multicultural Moment: National Convention

Everyday things go on around us that we never even notice. During our trip to the 2014 National FFA Convention we had the task of observing the behaviors of people around us. We were asked to watching how people interacted with people around them and find behaviors that were interesting, uplifting and depressing.

I was amazed at both the positive and negative behaviors of people throughout the week. Some of the more depressing behaviors I observed were things such as a young girl shouting at the man working at the cash register in a store when the machine wouldn't read her credit card. The cashier remained
calm and tried to help the girl but she just wasn't having it. I also overheard a couple complaining about the lady in front of them who brought her small child to the convention in a stroller. They were saying things such as "what was she thinking? Who would ever bring a child here with all these other people? She is just causing traffic jams with all these people."

On the other hand, I saw a lot of great things that made me happy. I saw two young FFA members give up their seats so an elderly couple could sit without being asked. I also saw a lady pay extra so the next few people in line didn't have to pay for their coffee.

It was really interesting to sit back and really observe the behaviors around me. I felt bad for the people who were being treated badly by people they didn't even know and it made me happy to see those positive behaviors throughout my trip. This really made me think about my behaviors and what other people would think if they oversaw or overheard me.

"Make sure all of your actions and behaviors live up to and reflect the words, ideas and promises that come out of your mouth"
- Steve Farber 

No comments:

Post a Comment