Saturday, January 17, 2015

My first Mid-Winter Convention!

I have attended the Pennsylvania State Farm Show every year since I was born, but this trip was different than any other. After spending a few days at the show with my cousins, I took on a new role Sunday night. I met up with Ms. Aurand, Mr. Bizjak and over twenty members of the Conneaut Area FFA. I was officially a student teacher.

Sunday night we spent time eating dinner, doing homework and most importantly practicing square dancing! Early Monday morning the students were lined up in the hall with their official dress on ready for the big day! We headed to the farm show complex and I was ready for my first Mid-Winter Convention ever.

It was not only an exciting day for me, it was a big day for the whole Conneaut Area FFA Chapter. 11 students got to put on their own FFA jacket for the first time, 3 students received their Keystone Degree and we even had 1 student who was an Agri-Business Star Finalist.

That evening 17 students from the FFA Chapter competed in the square dance competition. Students have been practicing the past few months and had the chance to demonstrate 5 dances Monday night. We walked away with two red ribbons!

We also participated in the #todaysFFA Social Media contest. This was my first official student teaching assignment! Our students told their Farm Show story on Facebook and Twitter with pictures and the hashtag #todaysFFA. Our chapter had the most views and post which means that we won the contest! We are looking forward to our pizza party with the State Officers!

Tuesday we spent the day traveling around doing tours of industries in the area. We started at Kreider Farms in Lancaster County. We saw the facilities where they raise 6 million chickens and milk over 1500 dairy cows on a carousel parlor. We then went to Zimmermans, a corporation that is made up of three businesses; Keystone Coating, PBZ Cattle Equipment and Crop Care. After this we toured Uncle Henry’s Pretzels and stopped at Cabelas. Wednesday we loaded up the bus and headed to Hershey to tour Chocolate World. After spending some time there we began the 5 hour bus ride home.

Overall, my first Mid-Winter Convention was a great one and a great way to kick off my student teaching experience.


"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

No comments:

Post a Comment