Sunday, September 7, 2014

Weekly Writing #2

“Proper planning prevents poor performance.”This was one of the first things I read during this round of weekly readings. I think that this quote shows how important planning ahead is. Planning out the courses, the units and the lesson plans are all crucial to how successful you are in the classroom.

I have never really thought about how important the curriculum, course plans and unit plans were to a program. I always just focused on the lesson plan! After class and reading about planning, I now realize that you can’t have a great lesson plan without all of these other components.

So after thinking about how important all of these components are, I started to think about how I could ever create this entire plan and make it realistic and useful. The readings were great at breaking everything down and explaining how important the whole plan is.

The one thing that really stuck with me was how effective curriculum is planned backwards from long-term desired results. It broke this down into a three step process (desired results, evidence and learning plan). If you follow this process it will help avoid treating the textbook as the curriculum rather than a resource.

Each of the readings talked about working backwards to achieve success. It is important to set goals and have the end in mind. I think this can apply to the entire curriculum but also the daily lesson plans. One way to do this on a day to day basis would be to make sure your lesson has clear and attainable objectives so you can achieve them by the end of the lesson.

The other key parts of the readings were Bloom’s Taxonomy. I have learned about Bloom’s in many other classes but really enjoyed the chart that broke down each level. I especially thought the questioning strategies were very beneficial.

Overall, the readings taught me how important planning is. It also gave me great tips and advice on how to make sure my curriculum, course plans, unit plans and lesson plans with be successful. 


“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” 

1 comment:

  1. Love the quote by Ben Franklin Laura!

    Try to be more specific and in depth when mention "tips", what tip, show one example and how you would explicitly use it in an Ag Ed Classroom!

    ReplyDelete