Sunday, September 21, 2014

Lab #2: The First Day of School

I was very nervous to do my first day of school lesson in front of a small group of my peers who I consider my friends. I can only imagine how nervous I will be when I actually have to teach in front of real students, in a real classroom as a real teacher!

For this lab we had to come up with our classroom procedures, expectations and consequences then present them to our students just like it was our first day of school! The one thing we have heard over and over again that really played a part in this lab was making sure you hook the students in right from the beginning. This was the hardest part for me. How can I make sure the students are excited to be here and engaged in what i'm saying?

Those who know me know that I am obsessed with music. I thought that having a nice upbeat song playing while they students come into the classroom and begin their bellwork would make the mood a little lighter and would maybe make them a little bit happier! It would at least keep me sane for a while.

One of my biggest fears about becoming a teacher is classroom management. This was the first lab that our peers role played as typical students. Some were distracted by technology, some were sleeping, some were talking and the list goes on and on. I think this is such a good way to get us ready for what a real classroom is like. Of course its just a tiny sneak peak into what a real classroom would be like but it gives us the chance to try and work out what we would do in a situation like that.

Even though I was very nervous I was also very excited. I feel like these labs are really beneficial to our future careers! There are many things I want to improve on but overall I was pleased with the way my first day of school lab went!

Next weeks lab? Interest approaches!


"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"


No comments:

Post a Comment