Friday, March 6, 2015

Week 8: The Highs & The Lows

I can’t believe that my student teaching experience is over half way over! I can truly say that this has been a great experience so far and I am looking forward to getting the most I can from the last 7 weeks! 

I was looking forward to this week because it was actually a full, five day week. Well that was the plan... As the school day ended on Tuesday, I ended up over top of the trash can not feeling so hot. With that being said I got to experience my first sick day on Wednesday lying in bed trying to conquer the nasty 24 hour flu that’s been going around. Thanks to lots of sleep and a visit from my dear mom with a delivery of juice, crackers and medicine, I was back in the saddle on Thursday!

The Ag 1 students moved forward on our animal science unit where we are doing an introduction to livestock! This week was also the week where students had to recite all 5 paragraphs of the FFA creed. This was quite the challenge but I’m happy to say we have made it through!


This week brought about my biggest challenge I’ve had with classroom management! After having some rowdy students who did not want to listen in the shop on Tuesday I decided that we weren’t quite ready to be in the shop again on Thursday. This was hard for me because I have a hard time being mean but I knew it had to be done. I was able to talk to the students about my expectations of them both in the classroom and in the shop and I think that next week will go much better! 

In Ag 2 we have been working on our Arc Welding skills which is going great! I am always impressed at how great this small group of students work in the shop and I have to say that their welding skills are pretty impressive as well! In Ag 3/4  we have also been spending some time in the shop working on making metal cowboys! This involved using the plasma cutter to cut the flat steel for the legs, arms and torso of our cowboys. One of my favorite parts of this project so far was watching one student go from being scared to death to use the plasma cutter to being the first in line the next day as excited as she could be!


In Agriscience we are continuing to work on our plant reproduction unit. I have been able to increase the enthusiasm in this class by breaking up the days we take notes and trying to add some different activities to spice it up a bit! We also have been having a blast watching all of our plants grow in the greenhouse.

Outside of the class, the FFA chapter has been preparing for the lip-sync competition that takes place this weekend! On Friday night we had dress rehearsal and I’m very excited to watch them perform! I also need to find some leg warmers and a sweat band for the faculty lip sync routine that I get to be a part of!


“Live each moment from your own inspiration, not from your desire to look good in the eyes of others”

No comments:

Post a Comment